We (the people at Expat Empire) run this site and would love for you to use it. This site, blog, and related services are designed to educate and entertain, and we encourage you to express yourself freely. Expat Empire makes no claims. Expat Empire is not responsible for anything and if the company is found to be responsible for anything, the maximum payout, including legal fees, cannot exceed any money that you’ve paid to Expat Empire over the previous 12 months.
Terms of Service:
The following terms and conditions govern all use of the https://expatempire.com website and all content, services, and products available at or through the website, including, but not limited to, associated blogs, forums, and websites, taken together, the Website.
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the website, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Expat Empire, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms.
1. Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
* the downloading, copying, and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark, or trade secret rights, of any third party;
* if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
* you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
* the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses, or other harmful or destructive content;
* the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third-party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third-party sites, or further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
* the Content is not libelous or defamatory (more info on what that means), does not contain threats or incite violence towards individuals or entities, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
* your Content is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and websites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
* your Content is not named in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company. For example, your blog or comment’s URL or name is not the name of a person other than yourself or a company other than your own; and
* you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Expat Empire or otherwise.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Expat Empire has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Expat Empire’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Expat Empire’s reasonable opinion, violates any Expat Empire policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Expat Empire’s sole discretion.
2. Responsibility of Website Visitors. Expat Empire has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot, therefore, be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Expat Empire does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful, or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying, or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Expat Empire disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
3. Content Posted on Other Websites. This Website contains links to other sources of information that may be of interest to the visitor/user. Expat Empire accepts no responsibility regarding the information provided by these websites, nor does it have control over the personal data processing and security policy of these websites. By linking to a non-expatempire.com website or webpage, Expat Empire does not represent or imply that it endorses such a website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Expat Empire disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-expatempire.com websites and webpages.
4. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Expat Empire asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by expatempire.com violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Expat Empire in accordance with the standard Digital Millennium Copyright Act (”DMCA”) Policy. Expat Empire will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. In the case of a visitor who may infringe or repeatedly infringes the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Expat Empire or others, Expat Empire may, at its discretion, terminate or deny access to and use of the Website. In the case of such termination, Expat Empire will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Expat Empire.
5. Corrections, Suggestions, and Complaints. We welcome comments and suggestions, as well as complaints about errors, on the Website that warrant correction. Comments and suggestions, as well as complaints about errors, can be submitted via the Contact page.
6. Personal Data Processing. With the entry into force on 25 May 2018, in all European Union Member States, of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 (General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)), it is necessary to publicize our Personal Data Processing Policy, which underpins Expat Empire’s commitment to comply with the rules on personal data protection.
This Policy, therefore, establishes the basis on which any personal data obtained or provided by the respective holders will be processed by this website. The term “personal data”, as used in this Policy, refers to certain information such as name, email address, or any other information that can be used to identify the holder. To browse the public areas of this website, it is not necessary to provide personal information.
6.1 Consent. By registering on Expat Empire and/or providing any personal data, the data subject is freely giving their explicit consent for the personal data submitted to be processed for the purposes and under the terms described in this Policy and in accordance with the laws and regulations in force relating to personal data.
6.2 Processing. The processing of personal data consists of an operation or set of operations performed on personal data or sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, namely collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation, adaptation, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure, dissemination, comparison, interconnection, restriction, erasure or destruction.
Some of the personal data must be supplied in order to provide the service and/or information in question. Expat Empire will inform you of this obligation and if the required data is not provided or is provided incorrectly, Expat Empire may not provide the requested service and/or information. The provision of incorrect or inaccurate data is the sole responsibility of the respective holder.
6.3 Responsible for processing. This website is the exclusive property of Expat Empire, managed by David McNeill, based in Porto, Portugal, which is the entity responsible for processing the personal data obtained or provided on expatempire.com.
6.4 Purposes of Collecting Personal Data. The personal data collected on the website expatempire.com are processed in the context of the promotion of the company’s services and the provision of information to users who want to move, live, and work abroad. Personal data may also be processed to respond to questions, suggestions, or complaints submitted by the respective holder.
6.5 Rights of the Holders of Personal Data. Under the terms and for the purposes of Articles 13 to 22. Expat Empire informs you that any data in its possession may be consulted, restricted in their processing, rectified (due to inaccuracy, inaccuracy, or incompleteness) by the respective holder and, where processing is based on consent, the holder is also entitled to request the erasure of data whose processing is not covered by one of the situations of lawfulness provided for in Article 6(1)(b) to (f) of the GDPR.
Expat Empire further informs you that, in cases where processing is subject to consent, the data subject has the right to withdraw their consent at any time. The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent previously given.
The data subject shall also have the right to object to the further processing of his/her personal data, to be informed, on request, of the purposes of the processing, the categories of data involved, the identity of the recipients to whom the data have been disclosed and the period of retention of his/her personal data, as well as to receive the personal data concerning him/her that he/she has provided and have sent to another controller (“data portability”).
6.6 Communication and transfer of personal data. Requests for information submitted through the contact forms present on expatempire.com may be forwarded to other entities better qualified to provide the requested clarification or service. This forwarding is carried out individually and never in data files, and the user is made aware of this forwarding.
The personal data will be transmitted to other entities in the case identified above and may be made available to the courts and other competent authorities, in strict compliance with the provisions of law, particularly when they are necessary to resolve disputes and for activities relating to the protection of public safety, defense and security of the State and the prevention, investigation or detection of criminal offenses.
6.7 Conservation of personal data. The period for which personal data is stored and retained varies according to the purpose for which the information is processed. Expat Empire keeps personal data only for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which they were provided or to comply with any contractual or legal obligations to which it is bound. Thus, and whenever there is no specific legal requirement, data shall be kept only for the minimum period of time required to pursue the purposes for which they were collected or further processed, under the terms defined by law.
6.8 Minors. Minors under 16 years of age must obtain authorization from their parents or guardians before accessing or providing personal data on the Website. The responsibility for identifying the contents and pages that minors under 16 years of age access is of their parents or legal guardians.
6.9 Complaints. Without prejudice to the possibility of lodging complaints directly with Expat Empire through the contacts provided for this purpose, the data subject may lodge complaints directly with the National Commission for Data Protection.
7. Privacy. Expat Empire fully respects the right to privacy of its website users. Therefore, in principle, it does not collect or use personal data associated with the identification of its visitors, limiting the collection of personal data to those voluntarily provided by visitors/users, which will be used exclusively for the intended purposes.
In addition to the above, it should be clarified that the Website collects and uses the following information, in line with the provisions on cookies:
- the user’s country of origin;
- the information expressly indicated by the user about contents and other pages;
- the information expressly indicated by the user about his/her profile and interests, in order to show the contents that best identify with the visitor;
- the identification of the visitor who registers, subscribes to newsletters, or requests information, regardless of the computer he/she uses, creating a login composed of an e-mail address and a password.
Any type of interaction with the Website will be registered for quality control and reporting purposes, namely, but not exclusively, that submitted for registration purposes, information requests, and competitions.
The updating and rectification of personal data can be carried out on the Website in the Registration/Profile area.
The Website also produces a database with aggregate information, purely statistical, without any personal identification, with the profiles, interests, and countries of origin of its visitors. This information is used to improve the Website’s response to the interests and requests of its visitors and, for that purpose, may be made available to third parties. To help collect, store, and process statistical data, Expat Empire may use third-party tools.
8. Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Expat Empire to you any Expat Empire or third party intellectual property, and all right, title, and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Expat Empire. Expat Empire, expatempire.com, the logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics, and logos used in connection with expatempire.com, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Expat Empire; or licensors of the aforementioned companies. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics, and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Expat Empire or third-party trademarks. You hereby grant Expat Empire an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any Content you post on or in connection with the Website or Expat Empire services or the promotion thereof and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with Expat Empire or the promotion thereof.
10. Termination. Expat Empire may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement, you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.
11. Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Expat Empire and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement. Neither Expat Empire nor its suppliers and licensors make any warranty that the Website will be error-free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
12. Limitation of Liability. In no event will Expat Empire, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability, or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental, or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Expat Empire under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Expat Empire shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
14. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Expat Empire, its contractors, its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to, out of your violation of this Agreement.
15. Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Expat Empire and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of Expat Empire or by the posting by Expat Empire of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the province of Porto, Portugal, excluding its conflict of law provisions, and the proper venue for any disputes arising out of or relating to any of the same will be the provincial and federal courts located in Porto, Portugal. Except for claims for injunctive or equitable relief or claims regarding intellectual property rights (which may be brought in any competent court without the posting of a bond), any dispute arising under this Agreement shall be finally settled in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules of the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service, Inc. (“JAMS”) by three arbitrators appointed in accordance with such Rules. The arbitration shall take place in Porto, Portugal, in the English language and the arbitral decision may be enforced in any court. The prevailing party in any action or proceeding to enforce this Agreement shall be entitled to costs and attorneys’ fees. If you prevail over Expat Empire, no fees paid to you, including attorney’s fees, may exceed what you have paid to Expat Empire in the prior 12 months. If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties’ original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof. You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; Expat Empire may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors, and permitted assigns.